Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Review of Hulu's Fyre Fraud




Basically a hit job on Billy McFarland. After gathering what information I could from Fyre Fraud, it's well deserved. This seems like the documentary assumed the viewers would know information before hand. I might have missed a few notes but I kept asking for more details and it's not cause the documentary had me hooked but because I felt left behind. I wouldn't have been watching the documentary had I known all the information.

 Oddly, it is a fond interest of mine to discover events with large gatherings of people that have turned into disaster. In college I aided a diversity club that focused on Japanese culture. Every year, we have to put on an event that hosted about 500 people and even we'd be behind on task, it seemed everyone just assumed we'd be able to get it done. The frustrating part of documentary(many other documentary have this same issue) that Fyre Fraud would flash headlines but would not walk through why it's a problem,just that it's a problem and we the viewer should be upset because. For example, apparently McFarland didn't get on the island to plan the Fyre Festival until a few months beforehand. As someone, who has never planned planned a concert I have no idea of the process and why Billy was planning with such little time but from what the documentary was trying to make me feel I'm supposed to hate Billy for it. I'm no dumby, I understand that planning a festival takes a considerate amount of time but as someone whose never planned one I would like to learn details why. In the end, I didn't learn much about this particular aspect of this disaster. This similar to a few angles the documentary tried making the audience upset about like Magnesis. The documentary made it seem like it was get rich quick scam McFarland did to reach his position of power but I can't repeat to another person what the point of the product was besides being application of sorts to credit cards. 

I don't like McFarland and by no means do I want to fend him against Fyre Fraud; I simply don't like how the documentary would drop points and want us to its word for it that it's either accurate or bad. The car crash known as Fyre Festival is a spectacle I don't want to look away but Fyre Fraud gave me nothing to look at just told me how to feel. Somewhat of a hook was the fact filmakers got to interview McFarland. Definitely a selling point in their trailer. I overall feel the interview was incredibly wasted and continued on the rest of the shallow cartoonish ruse. They flatout ask Billy how he responds to being labeled as a sociopath. What kind of journalism is that? It's as subtle as a pro wrestling promo. Now, the documentary could've been a ploy dropped by Hulu to get folks lost on how exclusive the documentary is that came out on Netflix at the exact same time dealing with the exact same topic. I plan on seeing it because I want more detail but it seems from the reaction that the Netflix one aims at making the individuals that went look stupid and deserving of this outcome while the hulu one aims at making McFarland a predator. Rich or not, I don't think anyone deserves this sort of let down. I may not even stop at the Netflix documentary if I get the motivation. There's a lot of great youtubers who cover such man made disasters, who I'm impressed; often it deals with disasters at amusements park but with the hype Fyre Festival got it looked to be an amusement park if it were to live up to the hype. 

The way I would've orchestrated this documentary was Act 1, have someone who was along for the setup explain how Billy got them involved, and have them explain the process needed in setting a festival up and why Fyre obviously didn't do that. Act 2, follow a victim of the Fyre Festival from the purchasing of the tickets to the flight to the quick revelation that the lodges were crap, food was crap and the music was not coming. Fyre Fraud did a little of this by it feel likes a lot of it was assumed that we knew how they felt when they found out. The frustration would have me roasting those damn pigs. Act 3, finsih it with McFarland's point of view. Let him try to convince us why he's right than show he's the devil. The FBI got him so no one watching will fall for his words. His interview seemed like it was only 10 minutes which seems pointless in showing such dumb antagonistic questions. 

I wouldn't recommend this. The whole time I just wanted to jump on Wikipedia to learn about what they were talking about and a documentary should have that take care of. Also, is it just me or did that skinny blonde expert sound a lot like Mindy Kaling.  C+

No comments:

Post a Comment